Pooled Income Fund: The Details
Is this gift right for you?
A pooled income fund is for you if…
- You want to make a significant gift to us and receive lifetime income in return.
- You want to avoid the capital gains cost of selling appreciated securities.
- You appreciate the benefits of a diversified portfolio, professional management, and simplified reporting.
- You are comfortable with a variable return instead of a fixed income. (Your payments will be based on the fund's earnings and so will fluctuate).
- You want your gift to be able to grow over time while it is generating income for you.
Our Pooled Income Fund offers you the benefits of a charitable mutual fund. It accepts contributions from multiple donors and invests the funds jointly, in a mix of bonds and equities. Each contributor receives a pro-rata share of the fund's dividend and interest income. Income payments vary based on the fund's performance. After the death of each donor/beneficiary, his or her share of the fund is transferred to the Physicians Committee to be used as designated in the gift agreement.
A Deduction and No Capital Gains Tax
You can contribute appreciated securities to our Pooled Income Fund with no capital gains tax, thus putting the entire amount of your gift to work earning income for you. You also receive a charitable income tax deduction for your gift, based on the value of the assets you transferred minus the present value of the income interest you retain.
The Pooled Income Fund is managed by experienced investment management firms. You also gain the added security of diversifying your portfolio by exchanging held assets for shares in the Fund.
The Fund accepts initial gifts at a minimum of $5,000, and additional contributions of $5,000 or more, making the benefits of a life income gift available to many donors.